Monday, May 28, 2012

The Herbs I want to use.



Now is the time to start thinking about what I may need both for the coming summer and winter. Which conditions may I need to treat? Which herbs do I need to dry, which oils should I be making, which flower waters, tinctures or vinegars can I make fresh now? What would be good to make just for the fun of it?

Oils
St John's Wort
Thyme
Calendula
Comfrey

Back and shoulder pain:
St John's Wort oil


Tincture
Rosemary

Acne:
Thyme tincture

Stress, Anxiety:
Catnip tincture

Hay fever
Elderflowers
Chamomile
Nettle tincture

Syrup
Stomach ache:
Mint, Chamomile, Lemon balm and Thyme syrup

Sore trouth:
Sage and Thyme syrup

Increase resistance:
Elderberries syrup

Menopauze:
Elderflower and Sage syrup

Cough syrup:
Ribwort syrup


Ointments
Wounds and scratches:
St John's Wort, Thyme and Rosemary ointment

Dry chapped skin
Calendula ointment

Wounds
Comfrey ointment


For the fun
Dandelion syrup
Shampoo & Conditioner
Chive oil for the kitchen

For making the infused oils, I'll dry all the herbs, to avoid mold.
For the tinctures I'll use fresh herbs.

6 comments:

  1. I do love herbs and the wonderful ways we can use them. Am trying to grow more around my cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can use them in so many ways Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful, Rita! Very creative:) How do you use the thyme oil? Do you have special recipes you could share for the shampoo and conditioner? love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the intention to use the thyme oil it in the wounds and scratches ointment Leslie. I will post the recipe for the shampoo and conditioner Leslie, but I have to translate it first.
    Big hugs XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, Rita. You may want to try making oils with both fresh and dry herbs and seeing which you prefer. Your ribwort syrup for coughs will be nicely anti-inflammatory and provide mucilage for dry raw coughs, but you might want to experiment with some other combinations such as the traditional cough herbs - hyssop (relaxing), white horehound and marshmallow; others you can add are thyme with maybe some warming herbs such as fennel, ginger. Mullein is good for deep entrenched coughs which need to be "dug up from the depths"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Sarah, I will try to find those other herbs for the cough syrup.
    Big hugs XXX

    ReplyDelete